I just found out about 3dbotmaker a few months ago. His videos are amazing and certainly inspired me to start collecting hot wheels. One day I was surfing the group page and a photo caught my eye. It was one of Sharon Tarshish's builds, staged nicely in his custom garage. His photos really drew from the imagination and I knew I had to make my own garage. I am still new to scale modelling and but have been painting for a while. I think my last diorama may have been in elementary school. If anyone has any questions on any of my processes, please feel free to ask. After watching Hotdogs and Hotrods I see a bunch of things I could have done differently that may have made my life easier.
It all started with a box and some foam core to shore it up. The concrete is nothing but medium thickness cork sheet ripped and glued down. Modge podge mixed with paint helps hide a lot of the cork texture but leaves a little behind. This pic is after a black wash and dry.
The corrugated walls are simple corrugated paper. I found it at your run of the mill crafts store. I tried different methods of painting on a few different pieces. Always starting with black primer, dry brushing the metallic paint or lightly misting it from a spray can. dry brush works better but you waste more paint for sure.
For the main wall supports I used a basswood stick I found at the RC shop. The girders and trusses are from evergreen scale models. this is the point where I started getting excited, imagining taking pictures already. I just stippled the walls with brown paint and dry brushed a little for the rust effect.
The shop front is complete. I wish I had something better than foam to use for the garage door cases. They did come out a bit uneven. Ack! My garage door was uneven too. The front is completely removable for picture taking.
Finally, I completed the roof. Pretty much the same materials as the rest of my build except I incorporated some chip board for sturdiness since ill be removing it and such.
Unfortunately I do not have a printer at the time. Otherwise I would be going nuts with signage. I do have a piece of Foamular I will be transferring it to, so I can add a parking lot and some other stuff. I have also added a loft area to the interior and there is a more detailed process on how I did that below. I will add more updates as they come.
(+)Loft addition process.
The first step is to make some lumber. I started by using some hobby clippers and chopping the rounded ends off of standard popsicle sticks. Then I chopped each stick in half, you have to cut the remaining pieced in half length wise. By using the clippers, I cut the middle of the length on each side to mark the middle. Most of them will just split in half on their own, but some may require a hobby saw to keep the pieces a little more straight. Here is my pile of lumber.
Next, I made a template for the deck using foam core. There are a lot of support beams I am working around so I found this to be the easiest way to make an accurate deck size. Using square store bought wooden sticks, I began to fashion a support for my deck. Note: I should have taped down the wood. sticky glue made this part a real PIA, readjusting everything every time i touched it.
After the deck support dried, I began laying my lumber pieces down on top. Its not very tricky. You just kinda fit them together like a jigsaw puzzle.
While glue was drying I took it for a quick test fit. I screwed up and used my template backwards. Loft was supposed to be on other side of shop. Good thing I am still working with a fresh template, and my diorama is symmetrical.
Now the glue has completely dried. Time to take my hobby clippers and clean up all the extra wood hanging off.
Now its time for the stain. I may not have been into scale modelling, but I have painted miniatures for a few years. So I have a ton of paint products. All I did to make the stain was mix Iso Alcohol, burnt sepia Daler Rowney artist ink, and some black paint. Obviously you could you any color ink to achieve the color you want. You could even use straight pain, I just find the ink breaks down and flows much better. I don't know the exact ratio but I would guess,6:4:2. I pretty much just kept adding more sepia and black drops till I found the color I liked. I was thinking about sanding all of the edges but the stain has done a pretty good job at hiding the cut pinched edges.
Finished product. Support beams are bass wood. Ladder was made from store bought square sticks. Be careful with the glue. Any wood that has glue on it will not take stain well. I will have to go back with regular paint and cover the spots on the ladder.
I hope my tutorial was helpful to some of you. Maybe I will post more in the future as I journey through the hobby. Thank you for checking it out.